Project 2008-2009: Paper Boat or An Nguyen's Story

This one -year -long project was a series of big drawings ( usually 5 by 7 feet ) , inspired by Mr An Nguyen's story. He told people about his unique experience as Vietnamese Boat survivors. I had his permission to used his stories as one of my materials for this project.

Another significant material I used is Sài Gòn Giải Phóng ( Liberation of Sai Gon) Newspaper, a major newspaper in Ho Chi Minh City, controlled by the Vietnamese Government.

I used the newspaper layout in the shape of origami boat as a blank space to copy Mr An 's story onto . The combination of Sai Gon Giai Phong and Boat People Stories. Such a beauty!

Back there in Viet Nam, even now, 2011, such an amazing surviving stories like Mr An's would never allowed to run on the Sai Gon Giai Phong. Yet, it can, here in my beautiful drawings. Thanks to art. You really can make everything happen.

I deeply thank you to Mr An Nguyen for his one year effort to make this project possible.